Patient Instructions for Semen Analysis
Collection Of Specimen
- Abstain from ejaculation for 3-4 days.
- Collect complete ejaculate (by masturbation) into the container provided.
- Write name, date & time of collection on the container. Also mark the container “Fertility” or “Post-Vasectomy” as the case may be.
- Do not refrigerate.
Delivery Of Fertility Specimens
- Rapid transport of the specimen to the laboratory is essential for accurate results. If possible, you should deliver the specimen to the nearest laboratory (see over) within 1 hour of collection.
- If you cannot deliver the specimen directly to the laboratory, it can be taken to a collection centre, but this may cause transport delay and affect the results.
Delivery Of Post-Vasectomy Specimens
- If your doctor has given you instructions concerning the timing of delivery, follow those instructions.
- Otherwise, please deliver the specimen as soon as possible to the laboratory or collection centre.