Pre-operative Instructions for Transrectal Ultrasound (TRUS) Guided Prostate Biopsies
Pre Operative Care
- Normally it is a Day Only Procedure.
- Please note following general anaesthetic, you must not drive or travel on public transport alone for 24 hours and you must ensure that you have someone to take you home from the hospital. You may travel by taxi home.
- Check medication list given to you by the rooms. Please cease any medication on list 5 to 10 days prior to procedure. (stated on list)
- PREPARATION PRIOR TO PROCEDURE: Take medication-Ciprofloxacin (contents in envelope given to you by Dr Vass’s Rooms)
- On the day of the biopsy take one tablet 1-4 hrs before the procedure with a sip of water
- Take one table after the biopsy before bed
- On the day after the biopsy take one tablet in the morning and one tablet before bed
- Arrange your post operative appointment for one week after the procedure.